Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Shores of Long Island



Heckscher State Park; Shots 1-5Reeves Park Beach, North Shore LI

Winter is by far the best season to take sunset pictures. I have taken my fair share of summer sunset pictures over the years, and none of them compare to my winter shots. The sky is so much clearer and the sun sets directly over the water in Heckscher state park, which is where i take most of my shots. I always freeze my ass off in the process, and no one enjoys coming with me because my famous line is "oh wait, just one more shot"; but inevitably i get the results i want. The other day i went to the park and took pictures for the entire hour leading up to sunset, and then some after it set as well. there was a build up of ice from the edge of the shore freezing, and that added something interesting to the shots. I hadn't planned on going back to the park today but as I was leaving the arboretum I saw the sunset and decided to try and make it back into Heckscher before it closed. That turned out to be a good decision because the sunset today was gorgeous. The sky was so incredibly red, and I was able to take better shots than I did the other day. I love taking pictures of sunrise and sunset. Unfortunately I'm rarely awake before sunrise, and when I am it's only to take pictures. Usually I only wake up to photograph sunrise when I am away somewhere; but when I do, it's the best time of my life. Sitting on a dock or a beach watching the sun come up gives me the most amazing feeling, I feel alive and optimistic about the future; everyday is a new start. I will continue to take sunset/sunrise pics everywhere I travel in the world...but for now I'll start with Long Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment